Search The Dixie Blog

NOTICE

The Dixie Blog has recently undergone an update that will change how pictures appear on the blog. Please stay tuned and check back with us while we work on this problem. Soon, all photos on The Dixie Blog will be available on our Google+ page. Thank you!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Best of Flyer Flash: For a Good Cause


Students wrap gifts for kids as part of the Angel Tree program.
Photo by Kirra Wilkinson, Flyer Flash
For a Good Cause
by Kristy Laub
Assistant Editor, Flyer Flash

This article appears in the December 17, 2012 edition of the Flyer Flash.

------



This past week Dixie died a little inside with the loss of our dear friend, Mr. Christensen’s Beard, to Angel Tree Fundraising. The echos of moans still reverberate off the walls from the cries of those affected by this great loss. Thanks to each class’ contributions, over $8,000 were raised this year for Angel Tree. But at what cost?

This year the Interact Counsel did an outstanding job with Angel Tree. Over $8000 worth of presents went to those in the community who needed it most.

The Vice President, Chandlie Stratton reports that, “We got my people together and came up with  ideas for fundraising. We put a lot of time into it, and the rest is history.” It sounds simple, but those on Interact really worked hard to provide a great Christmas to those in need.

The winners of this year’s Angel Tree competition were Mr. Christensen, Mrs. Bradshaw, and Mrs. Stucki.

Mr. Christensen solely raised over $2,100 in his classes for angel tree. He raised this money by selling coupons for things such as twenty minutes late to class, selling pictures of his beloved beard (R.I.P.), and one year he extended the date of a 12-page essay by one week, which sold for $300. “I always do something for Angel Tree, I am happy to help in anyway I can.”

But what does poor Mr. Christensen’s beard think about this? “It is not uncommon that I am sold for money, and I’m happy I can do my part to ensure the happy lives of those not as fortunate as me. I’ve had my time to grow, live life, raise children, have a steady, and humble job. Those kids need the money more than I do. But I’ll be back; oh yes, such as the winter chill that comes annually, so will I be there to contribute to Angel Tree once again and make all of your lives that much better.”

Such touching, hair-raising words that all of Dixie can live by. Remember the words of Christensen’s Beard and have a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are subject to moderation in order to comply with The Dixie Blog's Policies & Procedures. For more information, please contact us using the form on the 'Contact Us' page.

Translate